Best places for whale watching
Part 1 - International locations
It's whale watching season - Here are some of the best places in the world to witness these amazing creatures as they migrate to their breeding grounds.
The best months to visit are between May & December when the humpbacks, southern rights, and blue whales travel along the coast. Locations to add to your list are: Perth, Mandurah, Rottnest, Penguin Island and Augusta.
Best rated activities:
- Dunsborough Whale Watching Eco Tour By Naturaliste Charters
- Humpback or Whaleshark Swim Ningaloo Reef By Exmouth Diving Centre
- 2 hour whale watching experience departing Hillarys Boat Harbour By Australian Pinnacle Tours
Although, whales can be seen from any part of the South African coast line, the most famous and by far the most popular city is Hermanus, in the Western Cape. They even have an annual whale watching festival that usually takes place when the whale watching season is at it's best (between August and October). This year, the festival was held from the 29th of September to 1 October.
Some activities to try out:
- Boat Based Whale Watching from Hermanus By Southern Right Charters
- Full-Day Whale Watching and Wine Tasting Tour from Cape Town
By Irina Africa Tours and Safaris - Day Tours
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Whale watching season in Puerto Vallarta begins in December and runs through to March but January & February is best for Humpbacks in particular. Locals suggest the best time of day is in the morning.
The best activities are:
- Marietas Islands: Snorkel Cruise from Puerto Vallarta By Vallarta Adventures
- Whale Watching Cruise With Lunch And International Bar In Puerto Vallarta By Mike's Fishing & Tours
- Snorkeling in Hidden Beach on Marieta Islands By Vallarta Adventures
The best time to see humpback whales in Monterey Bay is March to November, with peak sightings generally during July and August. A Monterey whale watching tour is worth it as the bay has a high concentration of stunning whales and other sea life such as dolphins and sea lions.
- Half-Day Whale Watching Tour From Monterey By Discovery Whale Watch
- 3-Hour Monterey Bay Winter Whale-Watching Tour in California By Discovery Whale Watch
- Sunset Whale Watch Tour in Monterey By Discovery Whale Watch
With so many options, you have no excuse for not seeing some beautiful whales up close and personal!